20 Tips For Applying For College Scholarships
As seniors begin to celebrate their final year in high school, their thoughts quickly race to senior prom, senior pictures and grad night. However, it is just as important that they focus some of their energy into applying for college scholarships.
It is estimated that more than 9 million students receive grants or loans from the Department of Education each year. Despite the $83 billion that they will award this year, students and families must look at additional options to help pay for college including scholarships. Below are 20 helpful tips to begin the process.
1. Request packets in advance.
2. Make copies of the packet information in the event you make anY errors and need to redo the
3. Type your application packet.
4. If you do not have a typewriter consider having the document scanned and put on a disk.
5. Print your information on the application (only as a last resort).
6. Have your application reviewed for typos and clarity.
7. Send out the application a week before the application deadline.
8. Keep a copy of the completed application for your records.
9. If the packet needs to be received within a few days considering sending it overnight.
10. Do NOT send your application late, it reflects poorly on your organizational skills and ability to meet deadlines.
LETTERS OF RECOMMENDATION:
11. Request letters of recommendation well in advance of deadline.
12. Request letters from individuals that can speak to your accomplishments.
13. A generic letter is worse than having a missing letter.
14. Provide your writers with prepaid postage envelopes.
15. Provide your writers with a resume or brief portfolio of your accomplishments and activities.
16. Follow-up with your writers to be sure that your letters of recommendation have been
17. Include all extracurricular activities during high school.
18. Include activities that occur sporadically.
19. Service activities are necessary to be competitive.
20. Activities that demonstrate leadership qualities are also important.
FREE SCHOLARSHIP DATABASES
FinAid: The SmartStudentTM Guide to Financial Aid
Website address: http://www.finaid.com